Did you ever find yourself in a place where you ask yourself this question over and over; “What to do now!?!” An ongoing mental condition, where that particular question is continuously repeating itself in your confused mind, not knowing what to do next. I have been in this state of mind a couple of times; tossing and turning during the night, and throughout the day the worries would faithfully continue. It is like being stuck in a room full with doors, and every door you open takes you to another room with doors. Uncertainty became that uninvited friend who would keep me company, showing me all my Options and the Opportunities I had, but never giving me the answer to that troublesome question: “What to do now!?!” Does this sound familiar to you, do you recognize yourself in it? Well, if you do, I have five tips that might help you when you suffer the above mentioned symptoms in seasons like this;
- Don’t Panic: I got this fortune cookie message in my wallet, which says; don’t panic. Not that I am the kind of person that looks for guidance in fortune cookies, but this one I have to admit was kinda special. Special enough to put in my wallet as a reminder, for moments when fear tries to take control of me, and temps me to make dumb decisions. You become like a person that is drowning, and in his panic no longer aware of his surroundings, even the help that is close by. It takes the life-guard to knock the person out to safe both of their lives, and I’m not waiting to be knocked out period!
- Pray: We can read the advise of the Apostle Paul in Philippians 4: 6, 7; Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your request to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. You might feel that you lost control of the situation, even of the direction that your life is heading, but remember this; God Is In Control! Never lose sight of this absolute; He is the same yesterday, today, and forever (Hebrews 13:8). The place were you find yourself in, might not be ideal, but with the peace of God it becomes easier to cope with, and it protects both the condition of the heart and the state of mind. Prayer puts you under the protection of God, and you prevent to ‘Three Five-ing It‘ which means to lean on your own understanding (Proverbs 3:5).
- Call your Pastor: With this I refer not only to pastors, but also to godly people that are able to give you godly advise. Proverbs 12:15; The way of a fool seems right to him, but a wise man listens to advice. The reason I talk to my pastor is because, he is were I want to be, and he has been were I am at. The talks I have with him, really help me out a lot, they give me understanding, offer me insight, it makes me realize that I am not the only one experiencing this, and that I am not crazy. Take my advise in moments like these not to isolate yourself, and stay far away from people who can’t help you, or worst, join you in a panic attack!
- Write down the Promises: What are the promises God has given you? During times that I wonder what the future will bring, I take a piece of paper and write down all the promise scriptures God has given me so far. I look at them, read them over and over, and simply meditate on His promises for my life. Psalm 145:13 states The Lord is faithful to all His promises. I honesty can say that some of the promises I wrote down surely have come to pass, others will come to pass in His time. Seeing God’s faithfulness gives me the confidence that He who began a good work in me will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus (Philippians 1:6). His promises are pieces of a puzzle, and putting them together gives you a glimpse of the future He has for you (Habakkuk 2:2, 3)
- Stick to the Principles: When you experience a time of uncertainty, it might seem logical just to take a shot in the dark. However, when the light goes on after shooting in the dark, you will notice that you added more damage to the situation, than that you actually solved it. In situations like these learn from Galatians 6:9; Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Just stick to the basics, keep on doing the things you are certain of that they are the right things to do, and you’ll be just fine.